“Everybody needs this and that, now and then.”
This expression has been handed down over the years and seems to fit into every generation. It does not matter if you are wealthy or poor, educated or unschooled, skinny or fluffy, there are common needs with every human.
We are all aware of these four basic human needs: food, clothing, shelter, and companionship. However, there is so much more that makes living tolerable. One friend said that a nap a day keeps the sleepies away. On the other side of the spectrum, Scottish philosopher Thomas Carlyle said, “I’ve got a great ambition to die of exhaustion rather than boredom.” To each his own!
For some people, a cup of coffee in the morning is an absolute necessity for a fulfilled life. Others cannot go for more than a week without Tex-Mex food from their favorite restaurant. It would be interesting to hear about your own special needs that enrich your life.
Here are a few things that everyone needs in their life. If you can think of more, please let me know:
1. Everyone needs a hug. Studies have proven that hugs can lower stress in your body, and may even lower your blood pressure. Jesus gave hugs, too! In Mark 10:16, Jesus took the little children in His arms and gave them a blessing.
2. Everyone needs to be loved. Even the unlovable need to be loved. “Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from God.” (1 John 4:7)
3. Everyone needs a little push. Getting started in life is not always easy. Sometimes we need someone to “inspire” us to get our life underway. Hebrews 10:24 KJV, “Let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works.” The word “provoke” means to stimulate someone to aspire to greater things.
4. Everyone needs to be protected. This world is a violent place. The fear of being abused is very real. Psalm 82:4 ESV, “Rescue the weak and the needy; deliver them from the hand of the wicked.”
5. Everyone needs to pause their life occasionally. In Psalm 3:1-8, the word “Selah” is mentioned three times. It means to pause in the presence of God. In the rush of life, push the pause button!
6. Everyone needs to make and to acknowledge their mistakes. No one is perfect. Christ alone has lived life without making a mistake. “For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God.” (Romans 3:23 KJV)
And everyone needs Jesus! Only through Christ can our sins be forgiven and relationship with God the Father be established. As the hymnwriter George O. Webster said: “I need Jesus, I need Jesus, I need Jesus every day; Need Him in the sunshine hour, Need Him when the storm-clouds tower; Every day along my way, Yes, I need Jesus!”
For more inspirational reading please visit:
For comments please visit: